Map Accuracy, Updates and Such Features as Operation/ User Interface and Screen Improve Aftermarket Navigation Systems Satisfaction
Share This Page
Alpine Big X Series Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with In-Dash Aftermarket Navigation Systems for a Third Consecutive Year
TOKYO: 24 October 2014 — Map accuracy and updates, as well as such features as operation/ user interface and screen, improve overall customer satisfaction with aftermarket navigation systems, according to the J.D. Power Asia Pacific 2014 Japan Navigation Systems Customer Satisfaction Index StudySM—Aftermarket released today.
Now in its eighth year, the study measures customer satisfaction with aftermarket in-dash vehicle navigation systems. The study also measures satisfaction with in-dash systems such as in-vehicle information systems, including music and video player functions, telematics services and search and guidance functions. Satisfaction with in-dash systems is evaluated in four factors (in order of importance): navigation function (42%); infotainment equipment (21%); operation/ user interface (20%); and screen (17%). Overall satisfaction scores are calculated based on customer evaluations of multiple attributes within those factors and are based on a 1,000-point scale.
“Consumers are looking for a navigation system that is not only accurate and can download updates, but also has specific features, such as technologies for integration with smart devices, display audio and home screen customization,” said Taku Kimoto, executive director of the automotive division at J.D. Power Asia Pacific, Tokyo. “Navigation system manufacturers need to know their audience and which features appeal to them in order to retain existing customers and entice new customers, especially those who may be unsure of which brand to buy.”
- Overall satisfaction averages 533 points in 2014, a 1-point increase from 2013.
- Satisfaction improves in 2014 in navigation function (+4 points) and operation/ user interface (+3), compared with 2013. Infotainment equipment and screen each decline by 5 points year over year.
- Satisfaction is higher among the 48 percent of aftermarket navigation system owners who have updated the map data on their system than among those who have not done so (546 vs. 521, respectively).
- Overall satisfaction is lower among customers who previously owned a factory- or dealer-installed navigation system than among those who have not (524 vs. 541, respectively). The largest satisfaction gaps between those two customer groups are in navigation function (20 points); operation/ user interface (17).
- Among owners of in-dash aftermarket navigation systems who are highly satisfied (overall satisfaction scores of 547 or higher), 46 percent indicate they expect to purchase an in-dash aftermarket navigation system for their next navigation system.
2014 Ranking Highlights
The Alpine Big X Series ranks highest for a third consecutive year, with a score of 573, a 9-point increase from 2013. The Alpine Big X Series performs particularly well in the navigation function and the operation/ user interface factors.
The Pioneer Cyber Navi Series ranks second (549), performing particularly well in navigation function. The Panasonic Strada R Series ranks third (546) and performs particularly well in the screen factor.
The 2014 Japan Navigation Systems Customer Satisfaction Index Study—Aftermarket is based on responses from 2,829 owners who purchased their system between April 2012 and March 2014. The Internet study was fielded from July to August 2014.
About J.D. Power Asia Pacific
J.D. Power Asia Pacific has offices in Tokyo, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai and Bangkok that conduct customer satisfaction research and provide consulting services in the automotive, information technology and finance industries. Together, the five offices bring the language of customer satisfaction to consumers and businesses in Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. Information regarding J.D. Power Asia Pacific and its products can be accessed through the Internet at japan.jdpower.com.
About McGraw Hill Financial www.mhfi.com
Media Relations Contacts
Shizue Hidaka; J.D. Power Asia Pacific; Metro City Kamiyacho 8F; 5-1-5 Toranomon; Minato-ku, Tokyo; Japan 105-0001; Phone +81-3-4550-8060; firstname.lastname@example.org
John Tews; Director, Media Relations; J.D. Power; 320 E. Big Beaver; 5th Floor, Suite 500, Troy, MI, 48083 USA; 001 248-680-6218; email@example.com
No advertising or other promotional use can be made of the information in this release without the express prior written consent of J.D. Power. www.jdpower.com